Saturday, July 21, 2007

Human Transit

Mass amounts of people riding bicycles, pushing carts, hanging off the back of trucks, crammed onto minibuses, lounging in Mercedes, piled on top of garbage trucks, and . . . walking! I saw an old man today with the most callused feet, they almost looked like hoofs. A life of never feeling the comforts of shoes. People in motion. The graceful dance of humans in transit. I am amazed by the amount of stuff Rwandans can stack on top of their heads, yet still maintain amazing posture. I jumped out of the gate this morning to see a young women balancing a bible on top of her head as she strapped her baby to back. Religion in Rwanda, that is another topic I hope to cover soon, but I have to run now!~

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Hi Katie,
I'm finally back home and back into "normal" activities like reading your postings--wow--it's safe to say that your life will never be the same. I'm impressed by your ability to remain objective as you are bombarded daily with experiences and sensations. I continue to send up prayers and good thoughts for you daily.
On the home front, it's fair week and the paper is filled with rodeo news, livestock weights and picture of cute kids eating watermelon.
Will be looking forward to hearing more about your next event(s)!
Hugs,
Marcia

Betty Golle said...

Hi Katie, I'm so happy I talked to your mom and she told me how to email you! Wow, I have read alot of what has been written! You have truly experienced a wide variety of "life"! I do know some of it had to be very difficult. You are so brave and strong to do what you have been doing this summer.

I hope you and I can get together
this year. Wow, we are so close
that we should just be able to walk and meet each other at lunch.

Take care and stay safe.
Love, Betty G.

Ryan Marks said...

Katy!

I've tried to email several times over the past year and kept getting the stupid automatic response from DU saying the email didn't go through. Peter finally directed me to your blog and I'm now using it to attempt to get a current email address (and read up on your recent adventures). I had no idea that you were in Africa. Last I heard, you were teaching in Montrose. How quickly things change when you're out of the loop. Anyway, I hope all is well and you can send me your email address through my old DU address. Hope to hear from you soon!

Ryan Mark