Thursday, July 19, 2007

Rwanda as a Solo Female!

I am making it sound more impressive than it really is. I made a couple of wonderful friends during the delegation and we are staying together, keeping one another company. Right now I am living in a hostel called Centre Chirstus. It is a beautiful nunnery with cows grazing around and a small memorial tucked in the corner. Only four days and I am departing from Rwanda! It is going to be difficult to leave; I have been bitten by the Rwandan bug. From Rwanda I will travel through Uganda, Kenya, and on to Tanzania with two of my dear girlfriends Sam and Laura. The three of us are going to visit the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) in Arusha, Tanzania. This is the UN based court dealing with the main orchestrates of the Rwandan Genocide. It will be fascinating to compare the international tribunals to the local Gacaca courts. What is involved in reconciliation at both a local and international level? After exercising our intellect at the ICTR, Laura and will exercise our legs and our wills as we attempt to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro! Don’t worry, I promise to take lots of pictures. So, that is an update of my travel itinerary.

1 comment:

Cindy LaJoy said...

Kilimanjaro, here you come! You go girl!! Can't wait to see pictures :-)

Cindy