Friday, July 13, 2007

Thank You!

I have been sitting with a handful of tissue, reading everyone's responses. I feel so much love, support, and encouragement, thank you all! My heart has been refilled and my spirit revitalized. It is so wonderful that technology can connect us across continents. I would like to try and respond to individual comments so bare with me. To start off, Allison, the kids appreciate the soccer balls more than you can ever imagine! Here, they wrap up plastic bags very tightly and tie them in a ball. This acts as their soccer ball so you can imagine how excited they were to get a fancy new soccer ball. Allison, you have given months, maybe years of laughter and fun to children in Africa. Rwanda is trying to put together an Olympic soccer team (or football as they call it here) so who knows, some of the children to whom you gave a soccer ball may even grow up to be famous soccer players! This just shows how an small idea like a penny drive turns into something big; a little love and consideration goes a long way. Allison, Cindy, Dezarey, Dakota, Andrea, LiLiana, Ashley, Adrian, Richie, RoniLee, Melissa, Becca, Janie, Ralynne, Kyle, Gabriel, Erendida, Ana and all of the Passage Charter School students are angles of love here in Rwanda. I am so proud to tell Rwandans about the your efforts in raising funds and awareness for Rwanda! Thank you!

In response to the Murambi Memorial. I have been tossing and turning about the event and about my blog entry. I fear that I sensationalize the genocide when describing the memorial; focusing on number and horrific descriptions. This feels insensitive, but I need to try and show through my words the unbelievable atrocity that occurred. If everyone were to see, smell, hear, and feel what went on in Rwanda 13yrs ago I think we would all step back and analyze our role as global citizens. On a more personal level though, as I live in this sensitive society, I can't help but reflect on my personal actions. Every action we take, every word we speak has an effect. If we all are conscious of how we are impaction those around us, we just might begin to create waves of change. One by one, humans can move towards a more compassionate, considerate, respectful, and peaceful existence. There are plenty of times during the day when I become frustrated by the crowd around me pushing and shoving, or the taxi that is crammed full of 17 sweaty and smelly bodies, or the restaurant that takes two hours to prepare my dinner. All eyes are on me though, looking to see how I can respond. I did not intend for this sound preachy. It's just that being in another country, a country that has experienced the worst of conflict, and on a continent which has been labeled as uncivilized has helped me to feel the meaning of humanity and of a human existence. From conflict may we learn to appreciate peace; from death may we learn to value life; from anger may we learn to act with compassion and understanding.

Back to the memorial topic. As I walk through one memorial after another I wonder who the memorials are for and what message they are trying to send. Some of the memorials are in memory of those who lost their lives; others are to be a shocking memorial of the actions taken out by the killers. The later memorials do not seem to be for Rwandans or for morning, they seem to call upon the conscious of the world. When I am as these sites I feel angry and guilty. Angry at the human potential for evil, angry that the world let this evil dominate, angry that situations of desperation that push people to act out violently still exist, angry that the privilege can make a big difference with little sacrifice, and guilty for being a human and for carrying this potential for anger, evil, and silence. I am not being silent now though. After experiencing Rwanda, I am going to shout until my voice becomes hoarse. You all are listening and I appreciate that more than I can express, but I hope that we can work together to put action behind our voices.

Speaking of voices, yesterday I heard the voice of political reconciliation. We had the privilege of attending a Gacaca. Gacaca is the ancient court method that Rwanda readopted to help deal with the vast number of perpetrators. Thirteen years later and they are still having hearings. The literal meaning of the word means something like grass, community and unity. The perpetrators are brought forth to be tried by their community. The purpose of a Gacaca is to bring unity and for the perpetrators to come forth and ask for forgiveness. It is one way that the people of Rwanda are healing deep wounds and looking for reconciliation. This paragraph does not do justice, but I am running out of time. Please ask questions because the intent of Gacaca is noble, but it also has its flaws.
My love to all! Amahoro, peace

No comments: